Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thursday Garden Journal

Vegie Garden Update! 

Well the man with the digger came and dug. He left us with a wonderful clean slate AND we found nice soil underneath all that crappyness!


Avalon and I worked really hard digging post holes together.

 I was so proud of her, she was a great help and it was so very lovely to spend some time with her without the other 2 cherubs ( One nicked off to a friends place and the other moaned about it all so much he went inside to read!)

So the posts are nearly all done, just a couple more to do this weekend. Then we will use wire between them in an effort to keep the dog out ( I am sure he would love to sleep in there!) 
Our rock wall is starting to fall apart which is a shame, I rather like it, so we will have to do something to try and repair it, or rather, Rob will! We did have to replace one whole spot with a board because it wasn't repairable, so we decided to hang our 'used to be a bedhead' gate up there hoping to make it look less patchwork.

So my plan now is to finish the fence and gate this weekend (but I think its meant to rain the whole 2 days!!) then we can bring the new soil in the weekend after that then hopefully some planting sometime after that!! Of course, we need to move in Mr Gnome who is waiting patiently for his garden to be finished!

The kids think we should only plant tomatos, cucumber and lettuce......no beans! ever! 
I say no silverbeet YUCK!!

What do you/would you plant??


I am joining in with Squiggly Rainbow and her Thursday Garden Journal. Thanks Rach!



Jacq :)

I have made a few etsy updates today too, one in particular is the Advent Calendar we have talked about in the past  xo

9 comments:

  1. I love that brick wall too! Isn't it funny what children like, my Master J who is 7 loves to eat anything we grow - however he would not eat it if he did not see the growing process. We have winter veg planted at the moment, lots of spinach, kale, rainbow silverbeet (does that sound better) and brocolli! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't complain about my kids eating, they are pretty good but really prefer the summer diet. I am told a lot of kids don't eat salad? Mine would happily live off it all year. We all just have simple tastes I think?

      Rainbow silverbeet sounds very pretty!

      Delete
  2. I planted onions, carrots and leeks, also planted cauliflower and broccoli but they got eaten! I wish I had a bigger garden! I would love to be be a lot more self sufficient.
    Colly xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colly, if you google backyard homesteading you will find a lot of tips on squeezing some more stuff into your yard. I would love to be more self sufficent too, I think would should sell up and buy a big block of land together......;)

      xoxox

      Delete
  3. lettuce, coriander and peas are also great this time of year. I'd put down heaps of manure and get it ready for spring. We currently have almost any winter veg you can think of (except turnips and kohl rabi) - home grown ones taste better. Silverbeet is great fried with lemon and olive oil or in spanakopita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes peas! My kids love getting them out of the pods and eating them raw, yum! Maybe I just haven't had silverbeet cooked the right way? I have never made it myself, only ever been served it steamed .... erk! I have lettuce growing in pots at the moment, its very handy and I plan to plant a whole load of it as we eat tonnes!

      :D

      Delete
  4. How good that the undersoil is healthy soil. It's a good size plot and having it fenced in is such a good idea. How about snow peas? I grow sleeks, which is a combination of leeks and spring onions. They are really easy to grow and I just pick them and use them as spring onions. Also, home grown beetroot is really delish grated raw in salads. It's a lot of fun planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of sleeks?? I do like to have spring onions somewhere for my summer potato salads, and leeks would be a good idea so I can torture my middle child with leek and potato soup LOL! I love beetroot too, darling husband likes to have toasted cheese sandwiches with cold beetroot on top. Its fun to think of all the things we cook and plan to plant those things, which all sounds a bit silly but I find it thrilling!

      I will be planting pumpkin too but not in that garden, its better up beside hubbys shed where it can take up a lot of room...mmmmm pumpkin soup!

      Delete

We would love to hear from you :) Go ahead! Leave us a comment!