Sunday, July 29, 2012

:: Happiness ::


What is happiness? 
Where does it come from?
Are we ever completely happy? 
Is it possible?

As I get older I think I am starting to see what happy is. It would never have been possible to see when I was young. I am getting close to 40 now (......oh crap) surely some of that wiseness that comes with age should come soon, yeh?

I think there are different levels of happiness, different sorts go into different categories. 

The instant happiness...for example.... ohhhh chocolate YUMMY!! or OMGosh check out those shoes and I can afford them! Oh what a beautiful flower in my garden!

The medium happiness - the kind that comes from when your days go smoothly, no cars breakdown or washing machines flood the laundry. Your plans are slowing working their way to fruition.

And the the large happiness that comes from having great relationships with your husband, children, family and friends. A home that safe and warm. 


But, just because you have one type of happiness in your life doesn't mean you really feel it?
I am starting to see you need a blend of all 3 varieties. 

I think this is how people become envious of others and their happinesses (I might have made that word up!)...She has a great house and a drop dead sexy husband so she has the life, but not necessarily so. Her days may be agonisingly boring and she is miserable. 

But to make it even more complicated I think we have to make the choice to be happy. That's not as easy as it sounds.

I have been contemplating the last few years of my life. They have been rough. Could I have made them easier if I had chosen happiness over sadness?

Instead of mourning the loss of a dear man I only got to love for a short time, could I have rejoiced that I had the chance to be his daughter even if it wasn't for long?

When my new husband had a stroke, could I have felt happiness that he survived rather than the sorrow I did feel?

There are so many pieces of the happiness life puzzle, an edge piece here that fits well, a turn of this piece, moving another piece...is the picture of the puzzle right for you?

So I think that life is all about choosing how we see things, how we react. Tweaking the pieces that don't quite fit, finding little bits of all the types of happiness that can be found in our lives, being patience and calm while your figuring out your picture.....

I had a very happiness day today with all the variety of happinesses...


A visit to the Echuca winter blues festival
A visit to the Holden Museum to look at some beautiful cars




This one was my favourite, I used to drive a red HJ panelvan....pre kids of course!

The new and the old

yummies at Beechworth Bakery in Echuca

All with one of my biggest happinesses! 




We did also visit the market of my friend Cath   Little Birdy Markets but of course I was so busy looking at all the handmade goodness I forgot to take pictures.....!!


So I declare today a happiness success!

What are your thoughts? What makes you happy?

Jacq :)

(BTW I have purposely left out any reference to children and their affect on our happiness, thats just way to complicated!!)


 



5 comments:

  1. oh i have always meant to get up to that festival! next year maybe! Glad you had a great day. Lots of things bring me happiness, wonderful friends being one of them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right, you have to actively search out happiness, not sit around and wait for it to come to you. I think you can put things in your life that you know will make you happy, like chocolate, and nurture the things that make you really happy--like your husband-to-be! It's funny if you compare yourself now, to the person you were when you were eighteen. Back then the only thing that would have made me happy was having lots of money and being famous or something! Now I'm happy when I look at my garden; look at Luke and see that he is happy; watch my nieces and nephew playing! It really is the so called 'little things' in life that make us truly happy and content. xxx Colly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very reflective Jacq, very insightful into the way you are looking at life.
    For me happiness must come from within. If I feel happy I see all the beauty in life and I agree we do have a choice. Sometimes when Im flatlining I will look up and see something that can turn my day so keep looking up and keep seeing all those spring flowers popping. Definitely the little things these days. Smile, you are loved.
    Lis X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I am so happy being relaxed. I don't seem to cope with busyness in life. Being around trees, painting, creating, being with children (anyone's), my family, good friends, flowers, candles, knitting, dining and fellowship and of course cuddles. Nothing fancy, just life's simple pleasures. xx

      Delete

We would love to hear from you :) Go ahead! Leave us a comment!