Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What a cake!


 For a good long while now I have been seeing images of spectacular rainbow cakes in and around the net (probably Pinterest!). I really loved the idea but it was a long wait until a birthday in our house. But today was finally the day! And its not everyday your youngest baby turns 7, and so Dirtgirl was going to have a rainbow cake!! Woo Hoo!! 
Now to be clear, I love to cook but cakes are not my thing ;) Just so you know! So in a very organised (ha!) fashion I set about making the cake and taking photos. 



 I used plain cake mixes (75 cents at Aldi!) for the simple reason that the mixtures are very white, which is nice if your trying to make bright colors. I used a 20cm round tin to bake with and it was rather tall when it was finished! So next time I would probably try a larger tin to make it shorter and fatter.


 
 I used 3 boxes for 6 colors and using food dye made the colors of the rainbow as best as I could. I wasn't completely happy with the purple, its never easy to mix that color, but it cooked up just fine. If you wanted really bright purple you can buy straight purple food dye rather than mix red and blue.


 It took a little time to cook them all and because I was talking on phone and cooking sausage rolls at the same time I forgot to take an appropriate photo at this stage! So here is the first layer with some cream I used to sandwich them all together.  I am not sure where I scored that plate from but its a wonderful birthday cake plate!


 I did trim the tops of all the cakes a little so they would sit flat. Even the mess is cool :)



Told you it was tall ! Now I really wanted to cover the whole lot in white icing so it was a big suprise when I cut it up.But  I didn't feel confident that I wouldnt wreck it trying to get it all to stick on the sides'of the cake.


 Heres how it ended up! She loves chickens, hence the chicken decoration.


 It was certainly spectacular and the kids thought it was great! Which in the big scheme of things is the whole point! So Happy 7th Birthday DirtGirl!
I can already hear our next birthday cake being planned :)

2 comments:

  1. that cake is amazing Jacq! You are the best mum! Glad 'Dirtgirl' had a wonderful birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tam, you are the best mum, #1 biscuit maker!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you :) Go ahead! Leave us a comment!